A country home for your best friend while you're away. 

Seaforth, Nova Scotia

 Phone: 902 827-3135 

Email: ccsitters@hotmail.com


Country Critter Sitters

  • March 3, 2020 - A busy Tuesday with a diverse pack.

    Our new bestie from across the road, Ollie was dropped off just before breakfast and in a very good mood. He and M’Gosh hit it off right away and they took off bounding through the fields while the rest of us waited for Stephanie to get here to rustle up our grub.  After breakfast, Benny  got here for his day of fun and a little while after that Luke   pulled up to the gate in his human’s new, 'inferno red ' car. That’s when the energy output got cranked up a few notches. Even Monty thought Luke was a little too energetic so 'Wild Boy Luke'  went over to the cabana where Lucy, M’Gosh, Ollie, Nala and Benny were playing with Angel.  That suited Luke just fine since he found Ollie to be on the same wavelength and they wrestled and played together all morning.



    Saki, Inky, Atticus, Max, Baxter, Sasha, Stella (wearing a smart sweater)  and Cruze all breathed a sigh of relief once they saw the hind end of Luke since they prefer to have a more serene atmosphere where they can meditate or nap, pick up very large sticks or do some bird watching.



    The next guest to join our fun was Plum  who will be staying for a few weeks.  She has been here many times before so, after a nice walk with Stephanie and Sasha ,  she made up her mind on how to proceed. One look at Luke and Ollie and M'Gosh racing around the North field was enough to convince her that her place was with the meditating group.  It was around this time that Monty got to have his lunch while we all drooled from the other side of the gate and then he curled up in his kennel for a nap. He's a very good puppy. 

    Since the weather was wet, cold and icy, the path to the beach was slippery. So, there would be no beach trip today, but Luke was doing such a good job of distracting us, we hardly even noticed. The rest of the day unfolded as it usually does, with our day-care pals departing just before supper. We ate and laid claim to a dog bed for the evening while Monty retired to his private suite and the heavy fog descended on Seaforth. 

  • March 2, 2020 - All the puppy therapy you could want - FREE!

    It was another pre-dawn start for Mary today. Kali’s humans had an early appointment and asked Mary to let them drop Kali off earlier than usual. Very early! Because Kali is such a good girl and Mary would likely be listening to the five o’clock howler anyway, she agreed but made it clear it was a special favour.

    We always feel compelled to welcome new arrivals even when it's still dark outside, so most of us were outside and ready to start the day with Kali. Once the sun came up, we thought Stephanie would be here momentarily to give us our breakfast so we all ran down to the fence in the front yard and sounded off hoping that she would hear us and hurry it up a little. Unfortunately, that didn’t work because Stephanie had to get Ellie to school and all that stuff before she could come to feed us. Finally, about an hour later, we watched with great excitement as her car drove up.  Before long everyone had their breakfast bowl in front of them and we all made pretty quick work of our food then we went out to sniff around and investigate the snow.

    The sun was shining brightly and it was getting warm enough to start melting snow. We had a few more daycare pals to wait for before we could get the beach party started. Gracie and Odin arrived within minutes of each other, along with Angel.  While we waited for Stephanie to get the big brown horse turned out, fed and watered, we accompanied Angel on a short poop patrol. Before long, we were being organized in our groups of non-beach goers, beach goers and the three amigos, Chloe, Karter and Arthur who get to run down to meet us after all the ball throwing is over.

    As you can see from the photos, the beach was pretty much the highlight of our day. It was warm and sunny, everyone got along great and no one ran off to chase after those noisy pheasants.





    When we returned from our seaside hike, Angel took most of us over to the cabana to rest and hang out while two new youngsters arrived and got acquainted with the place. The first was a neighbour, Joey , an eight month old Cockapoo  who just wanted to come play for a few hours.  Next up was Monty , a five month old Irish Setter who will be staying for about a week. They both took off bounding through the snow and Sasha and Nala joined in their fun, but only for shot spurts. Those pups have a lot of unleashed energy but they're both amusing to watch. Piper's human drove up to the gate and wanted to take his gal home, so we said goodbye until her next visit. 



    Around lunchtime Angel brought the crew over from the cabana and had a bite of lunch. We all were introduced to Joey and Monty and after a quick sniff, most of us were indifferent. Puppies are a lot of work for dogs of a more mature outlook. It's best not to get too involved. The afternoon slipped away and the warm sun melted a lot of the snow. Joey went home mid-afternoon, then Monty had to find another playmate. Cruze was a good sport and he helped to keep Monty entertained. 

    One piece of news that we wanted to share was that we have a couple of new fans following our DogBlog out in Calgary. Maybe Marley and Ruby would send us a photo so we could see what they are up to. A big 'Hi, how are ya' to both of them from all of us here in Seaforth.

    The day visitors, Odin and Gracie got picked up and we had our dinner cleaned up by the time Kali's human arrived to get her. Monty was starting to feel a little worn out so he had a nap in his crate and then later we all took our late walk and he enjoyed the romp in the dark with Mary's headlamp lighting our way.  


  • March 1, 2020 - What a difference a day makes.

    We were awakened early this morning by the patter of many little paws at five-thirty. Mary tried to pretend that she didn't hear hoping that the early risers would go back to sleep but soon there were more urgent nudges and even a few barks asking if they could go outside and see what the morning had in store. Down the stairs we rushed and out the door we raced to find four inches of fresh white stuff covering every tree and bush and the bare ground of yesterday. It was like we had been teleported to another place while we slept. 

    Saturday                                           Sunday 


    Piper was pleased with all that fluffy white stuff while Stella stayed on her bed and declined our invitations to go outside. 



    Rollie, the Plow guy, drove up a short while later and cleared most of the snow off the parking areas and left the driveway almost bare to the gravel. Mary had long since figured that returning to bed for another hour of sleep wasn't in the cards, so she set about making some Blueberry-Sunflower Seed Muffins and getting some e-mails answered.

    When Kelsea arrived, we were all ready and willing to eat our breakfast and then Charley's humans drove up to the gate to get their very tired little gal and take her home. Beauty also joined us for another day of activity and she enjoyed snuffling in the soft snow and saying hello to all of us. Kelsea suggested that it would be a good idea to head down to the beach this morning before the tide rose so she assembled her beach goers and off they raced down the hill. Daisy couldn't go this time since she was being picked  up by her human but she voiced her objections loud and clear. 

    It was just as Daisy was leaving that Tristan, the snow shoveling guy and his helper Owen marched in with their shovels at the ready and set about the task of clearing all of the snow away from all the doorways, steps and gates and shoveling the path to the manure pile. Forty minutes later they were all done and moving on to their next customer. Kelsea returned from the beach with her tired pack of critters and they all found a comfy spot in the sunroom to nap while lunch was prepared and Maybelle and Skit were reunited with their human and driven home. 

    Things didn't remain quiet for very long as we got to meet another Chocolate Lab called Moose who now lives with our Black Lab friend, Chase. They raced around in the snow and had a great time while we joined in a few of their games and showed them how things were done around here. Then, our buddy, M'Gosh was dropped off by his humans to have a vacation and he was over the moon with excitement at seeing so many of his old friends and getting to meet some new ones. To cap off the day's activities, Cuffs human arrived to get her and take her home for a week, when she will return to us while the renovations to her home continue. 

    Finally, the evening meal was prepared and served and all we wanted to do was find a comfy spot to nap after dinner. M'Gosh had other ideas and he tried to stir up some playtime but he had to settle for a few sorties out into the snow by himself. It's late now and Mary is rounding us up for our late walk and it's snowing again but we all go for a walk and bark at nothing while Mary feeds the horse and closes up the barn.   

  • February 29, 2020 - Leaping lizards.This is the cutest Teddy ever.

    What a busy Saturday morning it was and it started early with the arrival of Lucy and Ollie before breakfast. This is Ollie's   third visit and he's still very excited about all this room to run and all these friends who want to play with him.  Lucy is interested in only one thing. The beach. Unfortunately, the waves and storm surge are still bashing the shoreline so we likely won't be able to go today. 

    After breakfast, the fast pace continued with the arrival of Baxter and Nala   and then the excitement of meeting Teddy. She has come to live with the family of our dear friend, Holly, who passed away last year and she has big paws to fill. Stephanie starting taking photos of her right away just because she's just so darn cute. She was quite fascinated by Inky and his neck wear and she was happy to meet the rest of us,  



    Okay, that's enough of that cutie pie stuff, we can see she's going to be getting a lot of hugs and kisses when she arrives later in March.

    Maybelle and Skit were dropped off for an overnight stay and they immediately began their detailed inspection of every shrub, tree, rock and blade of grass on the place. Once they had satisfied themselves about who has been here lately, they stopped to say hello to the rest of us. Then we had to say goodbye to Maggey and Max as they drove off and Rusty, the PlayDog centerfold wannabe was very excited to see his human drive up to the gate and ask him if her naughty boy wanted to go home. We had a leisurely afternoon, enjoying the warm sun and being a somewhat sedentary and then came dinner and the subsequent departure of Lily and Ollie. Seeing the little bit of green grass peeking through the brown thatch makes us think that Spring can't be far away. 


  • February 28, 2020 - A mixed bag of a day.

    The morning started out with a lot of snow and wind and the arrival of Baxter and Nala who will spend the day with us. Mary had an appointment in the city so she had to leave just after breakfast and we spent the day following  Stephanie around as she tackled all kinds of jobs, including a major wash of dog bed covers. The snow stopped and the sun came out and melted what had fallen and that kind of was the pattern for the day.  Our gal, Daisy, arrived mid-morning to spend a couple of days and she was followed by Maggey and Max and then Karter.  Stephanie took lots of photos of us playing outside as you can see. 






    The surf was rough all day after yesterday's storm and we could watch the approach of the snow squalls while a big container ship moved through the furry of snow over the water.



    Mary got home from her city adventure and then Stephanie departed to pick up Ellie and get some grocery shopping done for both she and Mary. It wasn't long before Kelsea arrived for her afternoon shift and she kept us outside and on the move until it was time for Baxter and Nala to go home. The our favorite time of day, dinnertime, was at hand and we enjoyed our meals and the nice long naps that followed.





  • February 27, 2020 - Another wind and ice storm keeps us idling.

    The morning started off with very high easterly winds and Odin blew in with almost as much energy. Lily also arrived back for another hockey weekend and we had to bid farewell to our great pal, Murphy, as he reunited with his human and headed home. The highlight of the day was meeting a new Cockapoo friend called Joey who wants to come and spend some play time with us. We went out for a couple of walks with him but that wind soon drove all of us inside and it wasn't long before the ice pellets started to fall. 

    Those freezing conditions soon had everything coated with ice and the lights began to flicker, threatening to throw us into a power outage. We watched as the trees and shrubs became loaded down with ice and the top of one of the spruce trees in front of the house snapped off landing in the driveway. 

    Mary was keeping a close eye on the Poplar tree that blew over during Hurricane Dorian. It was righted when Dorian's east raging winds shifted and came at us hard from the west. The hope was that the tree would be okay once the roots were back in the ground because Mary didn't want to cut it down, if it could be avoided. The wind direction today was putting that poor tree to the test under the weight of all that ice. 

    Here is what that Poplar and other trees and shrubs were dealing with around dinner time. 


    If you think you recognize that bark ( dog not tree ) , send us a message and we'll tell you if you were right.

      Kelsea arrived for the afternoon shift and she was a good sport, taking us out in that horrible wind and trying to give us a little fun. Odin's human called to say he would be picked up early and shortly after that we had dinner, Kelsea fed the horse and moved the top of the spruce tree out of the driveway before going home. We got a break in as much as the power didn't go out. 

    It is just about time for us to take our late walk and the wind has shifted to the south-west, so we'll get our business taken care of and then head to bed.    

  • February 26, 2020 - New window gets installed without our help.

    Nala Jr. arrived to spend the day, just as excited as ever and she was thrilled to see many of her favorite friends on hand to greet her. Charley and Murphy rushed out the door to say hello and the three of them raced off on one of their many adventures. 

    The Window Installer was scheduled to arrive at nine this morning so Stephanie got our breakfast cleared up and moved us over to the cabana before the rest of the day-visitors arrived. When Luke got here the action was taken to a new level as he raced around getting everyone pumped. Kali tried to bring a calming influence but there's no diluting Luke. The Window guy arrived right on time and got started on the replacement of the broken sunroom window. Even though we barked to let him know we would like to come and assist him, he proceeded with his task and we went back to playing. Even old Max couldn't resist a romp with the youngsters. 


    Stella and Cruze were still settling in after their arrival last evening and Stephanie made sure she got a bunch of photos so their humans could see that they were doing fine. Stella's not much for playing but, every once in a while, she'll join one of us in a game of chase while Cruze spends most of his time looking for sticks. 



    We continue to enjoy warmer temperatures which has one down side. MUD!  After the snow and ice start to melt, there are lots of mud holes and rotten stuff on the softening ground which some of us just can't resist. These smelly things need to be rolled in and today Sasha was in the mood to sample these along with Charley.  Sasha usually looks very prim and proper and doesn't even get her feet muddy when she's outside but after rolling in a particularly offensive smelling pile of pheasant poop, into the tub she went for a bath. She was not amused. 


    Charley also found something black and unidentified and the only choice was to spray her with the barn hose until most of the mess washed away. She also was not amused and refused to be photographed.

    Karter got the call to pack up as his human was on the way to get him and after he left, the window job was finished as well. After lunch, Angel started more house cleaning while we enjoyed Mary's company as she raked some gravel piled up by the plow and did some poop patrol. All of us were starting to look for a good napping spot and we settled down on the dog beds until Kelsea arrived. Then it was time to say goodbye to Nala Jr., Mika and Kali while Luke was staying to have dinner with us and then got picked up and taken home.     



  • February 25, 2020 - Rusty's centerfold issue.

    Tuesday was another welcome, early spring, day with sunny skies and warm temperatures. The usual Tuesday day-visitors arrived along with the first day-visit for Oliver P. He is an energetic young Lab who broke a front leg and had to be on restricted activities for the past two months, so, needless to say he's got  a lot of pent-up play time. He spent the first hour learning the rules about proper introductions and he slowly began to understand that not everyone welcomed his enthusiastic overtures. He did have a great time racing around the fields with his new buddies and doing his best to please Angel and Stephanie.  

    Because there was some house cleaning that needed doing, we spent the late morning over at the cabana with Stephanie and she took lots of photos so you could see how much fun we we're having. As usual Charley (aka Pig-Pen) managed to find a good mud puddle to roll in.   



    Some of us enjoyed the quiet atmosphere inside the cabana while the youngsters were outside letting off steam. 


    Young Oliver P didn't stop to rest until late in the afternoon so we're sure he'll be sleeping it off all day tomorrow. 


    Our two late arrivals from yesterday, Sasha and Max,  gave Stephanie some great photo opportunities as they joined in the fun and games. 


    The real surprise of the day came when Rusty wanted to pose for some naughty photos that he thought would make him a PlayDog centerfold model. Just to humour him, Stephanie took a couple of shots while Atticus and Saki were somewhat disconcerted by such an  impudent display so they averted their gaze.  



    A bunch of us got a fun-filled hike to the beach with Angel after lunch and the afternoon sped by until it was pick-up time for the Tuesday regulars, followed by dinner. Once the dinner dishes were all washed and everything put ship-shape, two of our newer friends, Stella and Cruze  were dropped off by their humans for an extended stay  with lots of food, instructions, hugs and kisses. They had no problem fitting in with the pack and making the rounds to check out all the hotspots.   

  • February 24, 2020 - Welcome back Sasha and Max.

    Monday was another early, spring-like day and we made the most of the melting snow and ice which turned into mud. Charley, usually sporting a white curly coat,  was particularly drawn to the mud puddles so that by midday she was brown from her toes to her belly and a lovely shade of beige above. With Piper's encouragement, Charley's trip to the beach and a dip in the ocean soon fixed most of the two-tone color job and she was almost white again. 


    Gracie, Daisy, Baxter and Nala were all with us for the day and they really enjoyed their time at the beach. Gracie got to make two trips which suited her just fine. 


    In the afternoon, Sasha , the Shiva Inu, arrived to spend her vacation with us and after all the introductions were over, she was soon playing a game of chase with Daisy. Soon it was time for Baxter, Nala and Gracie to depart and dinner was served. Later, our buddy Black Lab, Max, who just celebrated his tenth birthday a month ago,  was dropped off by his human and he quickly set about checking all of the property before being introduced to us. We said goodbye to Daisy and Rupert and settled back to sleep until it was time for our late walk.   




  • February 23, 2020 - A Spring-like day for us to enjoy.

    It was sunny when we went outside this morning and it didn't take long for the temperature to climb above the zero mark which is very encouraging. It encourages us to play outside, the robins to look for food in the softening ground, the ice to melt and suddenly there are a lot more people out and about. 

    This was also a day of goodbyes as we had to bid farewell to many of our fellow guests, starting with Zag and Rufus  . It's almost a sure thing that we won't enjoy Rufus anymore since he is moving to Ontario and it's unlikely that we will see him in Seaforth again. He has been a good guy to have staying with us and he always had a pleasant disposition. The rest of us got a treat when Kelsey announced she would take those of us who could handle the icy footing down to the beach for some fun. Cuffs, Tali, Lavie, Lily, Piper, Hercules, Charley, Murphy, Rory, Karter, Owen and Arthur picked their way down the hill and had some fun checking out the beach. When it came time to return to the house, three of the group had disappeared into the alders so Kelsea brought the rest of the group back to the house. The AWOL group included Arthur, Owen and Cuffs and usually they turn up at the gate within ten or fifteen minutes but not today. This always happens when Spring first appears and the temptation to flush pheasants becomes all consuming. We're pretty sure the pheasants have another word for it. 

    Then the phone rang and it was Mike,  the neighbour across the road, who spied the three outlaws busy in the field in front of his place. Mary and Kelsea hopped in the car and drove down the driveway but Stephanie had already spotted them from her house so she was on the case. Between Mary, Kelsea, Stephanie and Mike, the three, out of breath with their tongues almost touching the ground, were rounded up and loaded into the car and taken home.  They all headed for the nearest water bucket and had a big drink before collapsing on their dog beds. 

    The rest of us were dying to find out what exciting things they came across on their adventure but they were too tired to even give us a few hints. The departures continued with Hercules and Rory being picked up after noon and then Tali, Hunter and Diddy all having excited reunions with their humans. We did have one arrival, Rusty, the newly-clipped Doodle, who was dropped off for a week's stay and then it was dinner time.  After dinner, Lily left us to go home but she'll be back, likely next weekend, given her family's busy hockey schedule. 

This website is created and hosted by Website.com's Site Builder.